Self Study Program 293 – AUDI A8 2003 – Infotainment
Self Study Program 293 – AUDI A8 2003 – Infotainment PDF free online
This Self Study Programme contains information on the infotainment system and
the associated distributed functions in the Audi A8 ´03.
An understanding of the interaction of the components and distributed functions forms
the necessary basis for successful fault-finding.
This introduction contains explanatory notes to clarify the meanings of certain terms, designations and symbols used in this Self Study Programme.
More detailed information can be found in the following Self Study Programmes:
– SSP 282 – Audi A8 ´03 Technical Features
– SSP 286 – New Data Bus Systems – LIN, MOST, BluetoothTM
– SSP 288 – Audi A8 ´03 Distributed Functions
– SSP 289 – Adaptive cruise control in the Audi A8 ´03
– SSP 293 – Audi A8 ´03 Infotainment
Definition of terms
Data bus network (topology)
The topology provides a general outline of the way in which control units fitted in the vehicle are interlinked by way of data bus systems. It thus becomes clear which bus systems are used by the control units to exchange data.
This term indicates that several control units are required to exchange information in order
to implement a function.
With distributed functions, one control unit is always responsible for the entire sequence of
operations. The function master control unit gathers all input information. The requests
resulting from this are then transmitted in the form of a message on the data bus system
and read into the control units concerned for corresponding actuation of the appropriate
In the event of function master failure affecting major functions, the task of the function master is assumed by a control unit provided for this purpose and designed to maintain the sequence of operations (possibly with certain restrictions).
Ignition switched on by way of electric ignition/starter switch or Advanced Key, so
that entry and start authorisation control unit J518 transmits terminal 15 and 75x
information to convenience CAN. The intermittent wiper switch E22 transmits the information “Wiper speed 1” to the steering column electronics control unit J527.
- The steering column electronics transmits the information “Wiper speed 1” to the onboard power supply control unit J519.
- The onboard power supply control unit transmits the information “Wiper speed 1” via the LIN to the wiper motor control unit J400.
- The wiper motor control unit actuates the integrated motor.
- System layout of CAR functions
- Infotainment system layout
- Multimedia interface (MMI)
- Front information display and operating unit control unit J523
- Front information and display and operating unit control unit J685
- Multimedia operating unit E380
- Multi-function steering wheel and display in dash panel insert
- Sound System
- Digital Bose Surround sound system
- Radio Module
- Radio module R
- Dialog system
The Self Study Programme contains information on design features and functions.
The Self Study Programme is not intended as a Workshop Manual.
Values given are only intended to help explain the subject matter and relate to the software version applicable when the SSP was compiled.
Use should always be made of the latest technical publications when performing maintenance and repair work.