TOYOTA A40/A41-A43D/A43DE AW70 AW71 – ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group)
TOYOTA A40/A41-A43D/A43DE AW70 AW71 – ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) PDF free online
- Toyota Carina 1600 rwd 08/75-04/84
- Toyota Carina 1800 rwd 04/81-04/84
- Toyota Celica 2000 rwd 01/78-07/82
- Toyota Corolla 1300 03/80-09/83
- Toyota Corona liftback 04/79-03/81
- Cressida 12/77-06/81
- Cressida 2000 05/81-09/82
- Crown 2600 05/77-03/80
- Starlet 1300 02/82-02/85
- 1978-80 Toyota Pickup 2WD 2.2L I4 20R
The A40 “Series” of transmissions are covered in this manual. In the teardown and assembly section we are using an A43D transmission. We refer to the different valve body configurations where applicable. Although the A40 and A41 do not have the overdrive unit, the assembly is very similar.
The A40 series transmissions are found in Toyota and Volvo vehicles. The units have minor differences and use different gaskets and seals. The Volvo unit may be refered to as the BW55, Not to be confused with the A55 (Tercel). We have illustrated the gaskets for the various valve bodies in a seperate section in this manual. This section also shows valve body disassembly.
There have been many gasket and seal changes on these models. We advise you to check the gaskets from the original unit, and compare them with the replacement gaskets to ensure that correct gaskets are installed.
When diagnosing the A40DE, be sure to determine whether it is an electrical complaint or a transmission mechanical complaint, or both. If the computer is not operating, the transmission should be able to shift manually.
- TROUBLE SHOOTING
- COMPONENT GROUP INSPECTION
- OVERDRIVE INPUT SHAFT ASSEMBLY
- OVERDRIVE CASE
- FRONT CLUTCH
- REAR CLUTCH
- CENTER SUPPORT
- PLANETARY ASSEMBLY
- CASE ASSEMBLY
- RE-ASSEMBLY AND BEARING LOCATIONS
- VALVE BODY DIFFERENCES AND GASKET I.D
- COMPONENT TECHNICAL CHANGES
- TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION
- CHECKBALL LOCATIONS FOR DIFFERENT MODELS