ZF 5HP19 Transmission Repair Manual
ZF 5HP19 Transmission Repair Manual PDF free online
This manual covers the procedure for repairing the complete transmission. Repairs to this transmission must be carried out by persons trained by ZF Getriebe GmbH.
All disassembly and re-assembly work should be carried out in the order described.
The photographs apply to various versions and have therefore been kept general. They are not binding in every case.
Important changes that are specific to particular applications and need to be taken into account when carrying out repair work are announced in Service Bulletins and training courses.
If this repair manual is given to a third party, it will not be covered by our alteration service.
The instructions and specifications given in the Service Bulletins must be followed when carrying out repairs.
Depending on the damage that has occurred, it may be possible to limit repair work to this damage.
The following points should be noted:
- Seals, e.g. O-rings, shaft seals, gaskets and filters, should always be renewed.
- All O-rings, rectangular-section rings and other sealing rings should be smeared with white petroleum jelly before being fitted.
- All bearings must be fitted in a lightly oiled condition.
- All lined clutch discs and steel discs on high-mileage transmissions ( > 80,000 km) must be replaced.
- Following damage to clutches/brakes, the converter, oil tubes and oil cooler must be thoroughly and adequately cleaned with a suitable cleaning agent.
Before carrying out repair work, make sure that:
- All special tools required are readily available.
The complete set of special tools is listed in Chapter 1.8.
- A suitable transmission test bench is available.
See Service Bulletins for the required test values.
- 1. General information
- 1.1 Picture of the transmission
- 1.2 Power flow diagram
- 1.3 Specifications
- 1.3.1 Screw torque specifications
- 220.127.116.11 Pump
- 18.104.22.168 Cylinder DG
- 1.4 Making adjustments
- 1.4.0 Preparing the clearance measurement tool
- 1.4.1 Adjusting clearance of brake F (snap ring)
- 1.4.2 Adjusting clearance of brake D (snap ring)
- 1.4.3 Adjusting clearance of brake G (snap ring)
- 1.4.4 Adjusting clearance of brake E (snap ring)
- 1.4.5 Adjusting clearance of clutch A (snap ring)
- 1.4.6 Adjusting clearance of clutch B (snap ring)
- 1.4.7 Adjusting clearance of brake C (snap ring)
- 1.4.8 Output play (shim)
- 1.4.9 Input play (shim)
- 1.4.10 Adjusting the switch (detent spring)
- 1.5 Tightening torques
- 1.6 Transmission test (test bench/vehicle)
- 1.7 Special tools
- 2. Removing assemblies
- 2.1 Removing the converter, oil pan and automatic control unit
- 2.2 Removing the oil supply
- 2.3 Removing the input assembly
- 2.4 Removing the tower
- 2.5 Removing the output assembly
- 2.6 Output assembly
- 2.7 Tower
- 2.7.1 Planetary drive
- 2.7.2 Clutch F
- 2.7.3 Brake D/G
- 2.8 Input assembly
- 2.8.1 Clutch E
- 2.8.2 Clutch A
- 2.8.3 Clutch B
- 2.9 Oil supply with brake C
- 2.9.1 Brake C
- 2.9.2 Pump
- 3. Assembly
- 3.1 Housing with selector mechanism and parking lock
- 3.2 Tower
- 3.2.1 Planetary drive
- 3.2.2 Clutch F
- 3.2.3 Brake DG with freewheel, 1st gear
- 3.3 Output assembly
- 3.4 Planetary drives I and II
- 3.5 Input assembly (with clutches A and B)
- 3.5.1 Clutch E (input)
- 3.5.2 Clutch A (input)
- 3.5.3 Clutch B (input)
- 3.6 Oil supply with brake C
- 3.7 Input assembly with oil supply
- 3.8 Automatic control unit, flow control valve, oil filter and oil pan
- 3.9 Position switch and converter