Yamaha XV535 through 1100 Workshop Manual
The purpose of this manual is to help you get the best value from your motorcycle. It can do so in several ways. It can help you decide what work must be done, even if you choose to have it done by a dealer service department or a repair shop; it provides information and procedures for routine maintenance and servicing; and it offers diagnostic and repair procedures to follow when trouble occurs.
We hope you use the manual to tackle the work yourself. For many simpler jobs, doing it yourself may be quicker than arranging an appointment to get the vehicle into a shop and making the trips to leave it and pick it up. More importantly, a lot of money can be saved by avoiding the expense the shop must pass on to you to cover its labor and overhead costs. An added benefit is the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that you feel after doing the job yourself.
Using the manual
The manual is divided into Chapters. Each Chapter is divided into numbered Sections, which are headed in bold type between horizontal lines. Each Section consists of consecutively numbered paragraphs.
At the beginning of each numbered Section you will be referred to any illustrations which apply to the procedures in that Section. The reference numbers used in illustration captions pinpoint the pertinent Section and the Step within that Section. That is, illustration 3.2 means the illustration refers to Section 3 and Step (or paragraph) 2 within that Section.
Procedures, once described in the text, are not normally repeated. When it’s necessary to refer to another Chapter, the reference will be given as Chapter and Section number. Cross references given without use of the word “Chapter” apply to Sections and/or paragraphs in the same Chapter. For example, “see Section 8” means in the same Chapter.
References to the left or right side of the vehicle assume you are sitting on the seat, facing forward.
Motorcycle manufacturers continually make changes to specifications and recommendations, and these, when notified, are incorporated into our manuals at the earliest opportunity.
Even though we have prepared this manual with extreme care, neither the publisher nor the author can accept responsibility for any errors in, or omissions from, the information given.
Yamaha XV535 Virago. 535cc. 1987 through 1990 and 1993 through 1994 Yamaha XV535S Virago. 535cc. 1994 Yamaha XV700 Virago. 699cc. 1984 through 1987 Yamaha XV750 Virago. 748cc. 1981 through 1983 and 1988 through 1994 Yamaha XV920 Virago. 920cc. 1982 and 1983 Yamaha XV920R (chain drive). 920cc. 1981 and 1982 Yamaha XV1000 Virago. 981 cc. 1984 and 1985 Yamaha XV1100 Virago. 1063cc. 1986 through 1994
Yamaha XV535. 535cc. 1988 through 1994 Yamaha XV535S. 535cc. 1994 Yamaha XV750SE Special. 748cc. 1981 through 1983 Yamaha XV750 Virago. 748cc. 1992 through 1994 Yamaha TR1 (chain drive). 981 cc. 1981 through 1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago. 981 cc. 1986 through 1989 Yamaha XV1100 Virago. 1063 cc. 1989 through 1994
- Introductory pages
- About this manual
- Introduction to the Yamaha XV
- Identification numbers
- Buying parts
- General specifications
- Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities
- Safety first!
- Motorcycle chemicals and lubricants
- Chapter 1 Tune-up and routine maintenance 1-1
- Chapter 2 Part A Engine, clutch and transmission (XV535 models) 2A-1
- Chapter 2 Part B Engine, clutch and transmission (XV700 through 1100 models) 2B-1
- Chapter 3 Part A Fuel and exhaust systems (XV535 models) 3A-1
- Chapter 3 Part B Fuel and exhaust systems (XV700 through 1100 models) 3B-1
- Chapter 4 Part A Ignition system (XV535 models) 4A-1
- Chapter 4 Part B Ignition system (XV700 through 1100 models) 4B-1
- Chapter 5 Part A Steering, suspension and final drive (XV535 models) 5A-1
- Chapter 5 Part B Steering, suspension and final drive (XV700 through 1100 models) 5B-1
- Chapter 6 Part A Brakes, wheels and tires (XV535 models) 6A-1
- Chapter 6 Part B Brakes, wheels and tires (XV700 through 1100 models) 6B-1
- Chapter 7 Part A Frame and bodywork (XV535 models) 7A-1
- Chapter 7 Part B Frame and bodywork (XV700 through 1100 models) 7B-1
- Chapter 8 Part A Electrical system (XV535 models) 8A-1
- Chapter 8 Part B Electrical system (XV700 through 1100 models) 8B-1
- Chapter 9 Wiring diagrams 9-1
- Conversion factors