Volvo Manual Transmissions M46 M47 M47II Including Types J & P Overdrives
Volvo Manual Transmissions M46 M47 M47II Including Types J & P Overdrives PDF free online
M 46 Transmission
Four-speed transmission with electrically-operated overdrive. Transmission housing of cast iron or aluminium. There are two types of overdrive, Type J and Type P.
- Type J Overdrive is engaged by a solenoid which changes the oil flow direction. The gear ratio is changed by a planetary gear.
- Type P Stronger than Type J and is used in combination with high-torque engines. Has no connection for speedometer cable.
M 47/M 47 II Transmissions
Five-speed transmission with the fifth gear assembly located in the rear extension. From 1986, the fifth gear synchronizer and gear wheel are located on the countershaft (previously on the main shaft). Hence the designation M 47 II. Both types have aluminium housings.
- M 47 An additional shaft incorporating a shift fork engages/ disengages the fifth gear. The fifth gear synchronizer and gear wheel are located on the main shaft.
- M 47 II The fifth gear shift fork Is extended to reach the synchronizer and gear wheel on the countershaft.
- Special tools
- M 46
- M 47/M 47 II
- Overdrive; Type J / Type P
- Checking oil pressures
- M 46 M
- 47 M
- 47 II
- Overdrive Type J
- Overdrive Type P