V4AW2-1 V4AW2-3 V4AW2-7 R4AW2 Service Repair Manual
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION R4AW3, V4AW3. This manual covers two models of automatic transmissions, R4AW3 and V4AW3. When using this manual please note that model designations “V4AW3” or “R4AW3, V4AW3” appearing in the headline of each page do not necessarily indicate applicability ofthe instruction included in the page. You are requested to follow appropriate instructions according to the applicability indications included in text.
Precautions to be taken when disassembling and reassembling the transmission
- Because the automatic transmission is composed of component parts of an especially high degree of precision, these parts should be very carefully handled during disassembly and assembly so as not to scar or scratch them.
- A rubber mat should be placed on the workbench, and it should always be kept clean.
- During disassembly, cloth gloves or shop towels should not be used. If such items must be used, either use articles made of nylon, or use paper towels.
- All disassembled parts must be thoroughly cleaned.
Metal parts may be cleaned with ordinary detergents, but must be thoroughly air dried.
- Clean the clutch disc, resin thrust plate and rubber parts by using ATF (automatic transmission fluid), being very careful that dust, dirt, etc. do not adhere to them.
- Do not reuse gaskets, oil seals, or rubber parts.
Replace such parts with new ones at every ressembly. The O-ring of the oil level gauge need not be replaced.
- Do not use grease other than petrolatum jelly.
- Apply ATF to friction components, rotating parts, and sliding parts before installation.
- Do not apply sealer or adhesive to gaskets.
- When a bushing must be replaced, replace the assembly in which it is incorporated.
- If the transmission main unit is damaged, also disassemble and clean the cooler system.
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- TRANSMISSION MODEL TABLE
- GEAR RATIO TABLE
- SERVICE SPECIFICATIONS
- VALVE BODY SPRING IDENTIFICATION
- ACCUMULATOR PISTON SPRING IDENTIFICATION
- ADJUSTMENT SNAP RINGS AND SPACERS
- TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS
- SPECIAL TOOLS
- TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER
- OVERDRIVE PLANETARY GEAR AND OVERDRIVE DIRECT
- OVERDRIVE SUPPORT
- DIRECT CLUTCH
- FORWARD CLUTCH
- FRONT PLANETARY GEAR
- PLANETARY SUN GEAR AND ONEWAY CLUTCH No. 1
- SECOND BRAKE
- REAR PLANETARY GEAR, OUTPUT SHAFT AND FIRST & REVERSE BRAKE
- SECOND COAST BRAKE PISTON
- VALVE BODY
- UPPER VALVE BODY
- LOWER VALVE BODY
- TRANSFER CASE PLATE
- TRANSFER INPUT GEAR
- COUNTER SHAFTGAER
- 2-4WD SYNCHRONIZER
- CENTER DIFFERENTIAL CASE
- REAR OUTPUT SHAFT
- TRANSFER DRIVE SHAFT
- FRONT OUTPUT SHAFT
- SPEEDOMETER GEAR