Self Study Program 990363 – The 2017 Audi R8 Introduction
VAG SSP 990363. Learning objectives for this eSelf-Study Program: Once you have completed this eSelf-Study Program, you will be able to answer questions on the following topics:
- New features of the multi-material body structure.
- New features of the occupant protection system.
- Modifications to the 5.2l V10 FSI engine.
- New power transmission features.
- New chassis features.
- Modifications to the electronics and to the driver assistance systems.
- New features of the electrical and networking systems.
- New remote control features.
- Modifications to and new features of the infotainment system.
The mid-engine principle used for the Audi R8 is not only a classic concept in motorsport but also an important piece of Audi tradition. The powerful engines were located in front of the rear axle even in the Grand Prix race cars brought to the start line by Auto Union in the 1930s – a revolutionary step at the time.
With the new Audi R8, our engineers are bringing accumulated racing expertise from the race track onto the road. The multi-material Audi Space Frame is the key factor behind the consistent lightweight design of the new Audi R8.
It is extremely light and rigid, while being acoustically comfortable and offering a high level of safety. The body shell features a completely new multi-material lightweight construction concept.
Carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) forms the ‘B’ pillars, the center tunnel and the rear bulkhead. The front end, roof arch and vehicle rear are formed by a framework of cast aluminum nodes and aluminum profiles.
A cockpit positioned very far forward, a long, flowing back and a relatively short wheelbase – the exterior design makes the technical concept of the mid-engine, high-performance Audi R8 clear upon first sight. The car’s proportions convey more of a race car character, with design ideas from the previous model now more pronounced.
- Model history
- Production of the R8 body
- Audi Lightweight design technology
- Seating systems
- Occupant protection
- System overview
- Modifications to the 5.2l V10 engines
- Power transmission
- Selector mechanism
- Transmission functions
- Audi drive select – transmission setups
- Emergency-releasing the parking lock
- Transmission overview
- Front final drive 0D4
- Audi drive select – all-wheel drive configurations
- Overall concept
- Axles and wheel alignment
- Brake system
- Steering system
- Wheels and tires