Self Study Program 971603 – Audi Data Bus Technologies
Self Study Program 971603 – Audi Data Bus Technologies PDF free online
Data Bus Technology
The demand for more luxury features and increased comfort in vehicles creates an ever-increasing need for more capable and more complicated vehicle electronic systems. Data bus technology makes it possible to form a complex network of electronic control modules
and sensors that can communicate with each other and share data across the entire network without the size, complexity, expense and other limitations of a conventional wiring harness.
Audi’s introduction of Controller Area Network or CAN data bus technology in the mid-’90s was a ﬁrst, important step toward the exchange of increasing amounts of data between control modules.
The ﬁrst portion of this Self-Study Program describes basic functions of CAN-bus systems in general, and goes on to cover speciﬁc functions, diagnosis and testing for Drivetrain, Convenience and Infotainment CAN bus systems.
The latter portion of this Self-Study Program describes the single wire Local Interconnect Network (LIN) data bus, Media Oriented Systems Transport (MOST) ﬁber-optic data bus, and wireless data transmission technology used in the latest Audi vehicles.
Purpose of a CAN-bus System
The CAN-bus system provides the following advantages as an overall system:
- Data exchange between control modules takes place on a uniform platform or protocol, with the CAN-bus acting as a data highway
- Systems involving several control modules, ESP for example, can be implemented efﬁciently
- System expansions and additions of optional extras are easier to implement
- CAN is an open system that permits adaptation to various data transfer media, such as copper wires or ﬁber-optic cables
- CAN is used for control module diagnosis, replacing the actual K-wire with a so-called virtual K-wire
- System-oriented diagnosis is possible across systems employing several control modules
- CAN-bus Overview
- CAN-bus Systems
- Data Bus On Board Diagnostic Interface
- CAN-bus Fault Diagnosis
- Other Data Bus Technology
- LIN Data Bus
- Fiber-Optic Data Bus
- Diagnosis CAN
- Appendix A
- Appendix B
The Self-Study Program provides introductory information regarding the design and function of new models, automotive components or technologies.
The Self-Study Program is not a Repair Manual!
All values given are intended as a guideline only and refer
to the software version valid at the time of publication of the SSP.
For maintenance and repair work, always refer to the current technical literature.