Self Study Program 643 – 7-speed dual clutch gearbox 0BZ – S tronic in Audi R8 (Type 42 and 4S)
Self Study Program 643 – 7-speed dual clutch gearbox 0BZ – S tronic in Audi R8 (Type 42 and 4S) PDF free online
With the product upgrade of the Audi R8 for the model year 2013, the 086 R tronic automated 6-speed manual gearbox was replaced by the new 0BZ S tronic 7-speed dual clutch gearbox.
Like the R tronic, the new R tronic is very much a sports gearbox. The fundamental advantage of the S tronic is that gear shifting takes place virtually without interrupting power transmission.
That, in turn, lends the Audi R8 a high level of driver convenience. The 7 speeds make it possible to provide either a wide spread of ratios to reduce fuel consumption or a close-ratio configuration for better acceleration performance.
The S tronic offers agility and easy gear-shifting. The high customer expectations in terms of handling dynamics and driver convenience are thus equally satisfied.
The 02E 6-speed dual clutch gearbox was the first design of this type at Audi. The basic functions of the dual clutch, gear-shift and electro-hydraulic control modules are described in detail Self-study Programme 386 and are thus not explained any further in this SSP.
Therefore, if you require any information please refer back to SSP 386 and the succeeding SSPs on dual clutch gearboxes.
Learning objectives of this self study programme:
This self study programme provides you with information about the 0BZ 7-speed dual clutch gearbox.
After you have completed this self study programme you will be able to answer the following questions:
- What is the design of the 0BZ 7-speed dual clutch gearbox?
- How does the 0BZ 7-speed dual clutch gearbox function?
- How does the 0BZ 7-speed dual clutch gearbox differ from the dual clutch gearboxes we are already familiar with?
- What are the transmission-specific differences between the Type 42 and the Type 4S?
- Selector mechanism
- Audi R8 (Type 42) selector mechanism
- Audi R8 (Type 4S) selector mechanism
- Gearbox functions
- Auto-P function
- Tip-shifting in D/S
- Activating transmission setting N (holding P-OFF setting)
- Launch control program
- Special features on Type 4S
- Audi drive select – gearbox setups
- Gearbox assemblies
- Overview and features
- Differences on the 0BZ gearbox between the Type 4S and Type 42
- Component overview
- Gearbox cross-section – gear set/gear train configuration
- Dual clutch
- Gear train and gear set
- Gear shifting and gear-shift actuators
- Power transmission path in gearbox
- Parking lock – mechanical function
- Parking lock – electro-hydraulic function
- Emergency release, parking lock
- Parking lock emergency release on Audi R8 (Type 42)
- Parking lock emergency release on Audi R8 (Type 4S)
- Oil system and ATF supply
- Oil level in the gearbox
- Lubrication and cooling of the gear train
- ATF temperature management
- Gearbox control unit
- Component overview
- Mechatronic module
- Description of solenoid valves
- Auxiliary hydraulic module
- Parking lock module
- Gearbox control units
- Sensors and information
- Function diagram
- Hydraulic circuit diagram
- Test your knowledge
The Self Study Programme teaches a basic knowledge of the design and mode of operation of new models, new automotive components or new technologies.
It is not a Repair Manual! Figures are given for explanatory purposes only and refer to the data valid at the time of preparation of the SSP. This content is not updated.
For further information on maintenance and repair work, always refer to the current technical literature.