Self Study Program 619 – Audi Matrix LED Headlights
Self Study Program 619 – Audi Matrix LED Headlights PDF. According to the latest statistics, nearly half of all fatal accidents happen at night although only 25% of traffic takes place at this time of day. This has to do, among other things, with the fact that problems of perception are a key factor contributing to road accidents.
When the headlights are dipped, a driver can detect persons wearing light-coloured clothes from a distance of 100 m. If persons are wearing dark-coloured clothes, the detection range decreases to a distance of between 50 and 60 m.
If this distance is compared to the stopping distance of a vehicle travelling at a speed of 100 kph, the problem quickly becomes obvious. The stopping distance is, namely, over 90 metres even in good ambient conditions, which means that persons wearing dark-coloured clothes may be detected too late and, consequently, the driver will not be able to bring the vehicle to a standstill in time.
With main beam, all test subjects were easily detected from a distance of 140 metres, regardless of whether they were wearing dark or light coloured clothes.
This begs the question as to why the main beam is not used more. In a survey, the following three reasons were the ones most frequently cited:
1. because drivers are worried that dipping too late will dazzle oncoming traffic
2. because drivers find it tedious having to constantly switch back and forth between main beam and dipped beam in heavy traffic
3. because drivers are so familiar with the route they are travelling, they do not think that using main beam will improve road safety
Why not let the car switch the main beam on and off automatically?
This firstly reduces the strain on the driver and, secondly, enables the area in front of the vehicle to be better illuminated by the main beam in appropriate traffic and ambient conditions. This task can be performed by an electronic control unit working in conjunction with a front-end camera.
This requirements profile is identical to that of the MatrixBeam headlight assist system integrated in the Audi Matrix LED headlights, which are shown in this self study programme.
- Headlight assist in Audi A8 (D4)
- Lighting functions of Audi Matrix LED headlights
- MatrixBeam main beam
- Motorway mode of the main beam
- Dipped beam
- Tourist lights
- Turning lights
- Intersection lights
- All-weather lights
- Cornering lights
- Marker light
- Sequential flashing
- Operation and displays
- Audi Matrix LED headlight
- General circuit diagram of the Audi Matrix LED headlight
- Power modules of the Audi Matrix LED headlights
- MatrixBeam control unit
- Onboard power supply control unit J519
- Test your knowledge
The Self Study Programme teaches a basic knowledge of the design and functions of new models, new automotive components or new technologies.
It is not a Repair Manual! Figures are given for explanatory purposes only and refer to the data valid at the time of preparation of the SSP.
Content is not updated.
For further information on maintenance and repair work, always refer to the current technical literature.