Self Study Program 616 – Audi 1.2L and 1.4L TFSI Series EA211 engines
Self Study Program 616 – Audi 1.2l and 1.4l TFSI Series EA211 engines PDF free online
The development aims for the new TFSI engine series were clearly outlined: the small 1.2 or 1.4-litre petrol engine was to be more fuel-efficient, lighter, more compactly dimensioned and offer cross-platform versatility. As well as all that, it had to be futureproof
in terms of alternative fuels and new technologies.
- CO2 emissions up to 20 g per km lower
- Nearly a whole litre fuel saving per 100 km
- Weight reduced by as much as 30 %
- Installed length up to 18 % shorter
- Modified fitted position
The EA211 engine series represents a new Audi petrol engine family comprising four-cylinder units specially developed for vehicles using the cross-platform modular component set (MQB).
Compared with its predecessor (EA111), the EA211 series is an entirely new design. Only the cylinder spacing of 82 mm has been retained. Because the fitted position of the engines is set at an inclination of 12 degrees, the drive train, drive shafts and gearbox length can be standardised. That reduces the number of engine and gearbox variants within the Group’s MQB system by nearly 90 %.
A particular technical highlight is the selective cylinder shut-down feature on the 103 kW 1.4l version. It enables two of the four cylinders to be shut down when the situation allows, without the driver noticing any effect. The cylinder shut-down feature reduces the fuel consumption over the NEDC by 0.4 l/100 km (8 g CO2/km). Especially at moderate speeds in urban traffic, as well as on country roads, savings of between 10 and 20 % are even
possible. A new benchmark in this class of engine.
Learning objectives of this self-study programme
In this self-study programme you will learn about the technology of Audi 1.2l and 1.4l TFSI engines. When you have worked through this Self Study Programme, you will be able to answer the following questions:
- How are the engines constructed?
- How is the engine’s cooling system constructed?
- How do the engine’s air intake and turbocharger systems work?
- How does the selective cylinder shutdown system on the 1.4l TFSI engine (103 kW version) work?
- Brief technical description
- Engine mechanicals
- Cylinder block
- Crankshaft drive system and valve gear
- Belt-drive timing gear
- Auxiliary unit drive system
- Crankcase venting system
- Activated charcoal filter system
- Cylinder head
- Oil supply
- Oil circulation system
- Regulated oil pump
- Duocentric oil pump
- Oil cleaning and cooling
- Cooling system
- System overview
- Coolant pump
- Cylinder head cooling
- Air intake and turbocharger systems
- Cylinder on demand (cylinder shut-down system)
- Cam adjustment actuators
- Deployment conditions for 2-cylinder mode
- Shut-down and reactivation sequence
- Function diagram (Audi A3 ’13)
- Fuel system
- Exhaust system
- Catalytic converter
- Engine management system
- Sensors and actuators on 1.4l TFSI (103 kW)
- Engine speed sensor G28
- Special tools and workshop equipment
- Scope of maintenance jobs
- Information on QR codes
- Self Study Programmes
The self-study programme provides information on the fundamentals of the design and function of new vehicle models, new automotive components or new technologies.
The self-study programme is not a repair manual! Figures are given for explanatory purposes only and refer to the data valid at the time of preparation of the SSP.
It is essential that you refer to the latest technical literature when carrying out maintenance and repair jobs.