Self Study Program 462 – Audi A8 2010 Night Vision Assist
Self Study Program 462 – Audi A8 2010 Night Vision Assist PDF. Recent years have seen many innovations in the field of automotive driver assistance systems. Driver assistance systems aid drivers by providing comfort and safety, but without relieving them of the responsibility for their own actions. They are one of the reasons for the decline in the number of fatalities resulting from road accidents, despite the
ever-increasing number of road users. Many of these systems help to prevent accidents by alerting the driver to impending hazards.
Night Vision Assist, the latest driver assistance system by Audi, has been designed to specifically meet this challenge. In the dark, Night Vision Assist enables the driver to detect persons ahead of the vehicle much sooner than without it.
The advantage of early detection is that the driver has more time to react to the hazardous situation ahead.
Animals can also be seen on the display even before they come within the range of the vehicle’s headlights. The night vision system is, therefore, a real advancement. It not only provides better illumination of the road, but also allows the situation ahead of the vehicle to be interpreted more quickly and accurately in the dark. Its range greatly exceeds that of the main-beam headlights. The function has been implemented using a thermal imaging camera, which means that heat-emitting objects, such as human beings and animals, stand out clearly against their background.
The above illustration clearly demonstrates the advantages of the Night Vision Assist system for drivers. The pedestrian crossing the road can only be vaguely discerned through the windscreen. A quick glance at the Night Vision Assist display, however, reveals the pedestrian in full size.
The brightly coloured pedestrian clearly stands out against the background and is bracketed in red to alert the driver to the danger of a collision. By detecting the pedestrian sooner, the driver has more time to react appropriately to the hazardous situation ahead.
- How Night Vision Assist works
- Reasons for introducing Night Vision Assist
- Functional description
- Range of Night Vision Assist
- Information on driver responsibility
- Function: marking of detected pedestrians
- Function: driver hazard warning of Night Vision Assist
- System operation and displays
- Switching on Night Vision Assist
- Switching off Night Vision Assist
- Night Vision Assist icon on taskbar
- Indication of deactivated functions
- Adjustment options on the MMI terminal
- System components
- Night vision system control unit J853
- Installation location of Night Vision Assist control unit
- Component protection system of Night Vision Assist control unit
- Night vision system camera R212
- Camera shutter heater
- Installation location of Night Vision Assist camera
- Camera range
- Mechanism for protection against misuse of thermal imaging camera
- System overview
- Electrical implementation of the function
- Communication structure
- Diagnostic functions and system calibration
- Data blocks
- Actuator diagnostics
- System calibration
- Dynamic calibration
The Self-Study Programme teaches the basics of the design and function of new models, automotive components or technologies.
It is not a Repair Manual. Figures given are for guidance purposes only and refer to the software version valid at the time of preparation of the SSP.
For further information about maintenance and repair work, always refer to the current technical literature