Self Study Program 283 – 6-speed automatic gearbox 09E in the Audi A8 2003 – Part 1
VAG SSP 283. The new 6-speed automatic gearbox 09E represents the logical next stage in the development of the multi-step automatic gearbox concept. It sets new standards in its class as regards economy, dynamics and comfort.
Speed-change gearboxes are of prime importance with regard to fuel consumption, emission levels, dynamics and comfort in the vehicle.
New concepts such as automatic gearshift systems or continuously variable automatic transmission represent alternatives to the conventional multi-step automatic gearbox.
For a combination of high torque transmission levels with corresponding ride comfort, the multi-step automatic gearbox remains the uncompromising option in terms of torque conversion.
The 09E was developed and is manufactured by the renowned system supplier ZF. Together with the gearbox development specialists at Audi, the unit was adapted to the quattro drive concept and vehicle-specific requirements.
The 09E is the first representative of a new 6-speed gearbox family which is to include further additions to both the top and bottom end of the torque transmission scale.
The new 6-speed generation is designed to replace the familiar 5-speed 01V and 01l automatic gearboxes.
- Technical data
- Brief description
- Sectional view of gearbox
- Selector mechanism
- Selector lever gate
- Selector mechanism kinematics
- Selector lever/button kinematics
- Selector lever locks/emergency release
- tiptronic steering wheel
- tiptronic/selection strategy
- Selector lever position and gear indicator in dash panel insert
- Ignition key removal lock
- Starting lock/starter control
- Torque converter
- Torque converter clutch
- Torque converter shift operations
- Torque converter oil supply
- Torque converter clutch operation
- ATF pump
- ATF cooling
- ATF cooling with shutoff valve
- Oil and lubrication system
- Selector elements
- Dynamic pressure equalisation
- Overlapping gearshift operations/control
- Planetary gearbox
- Gear description/torque profile
- Gearshift matrix
- Hydraulic system diagram
- Parking lock
- Torque profile/four-wheel drive
- Transfer case cooling
- Transfer case oil pump
The Self Study Programme contains information on design features and functions.
The Self Study Programme is not intended as a Workshop Manual.
Values given are only intended to help explain the subject matter and relate to the software version applicable when the SSP was compiled.
Use should always be made of the latest technical publications when performing maintenance and repair work.