Self Study Program 212 – Variable Intake Manifold in VR Engines Principles and Description of Operation
Self Study Program 212 – Variable Intake Manifold in VR Engines Principles and Description of Operation PDF. This self-study programme explains how it was possible to optimise the torque and output of the VR engine with the concept and design of the new intake manifold and just how an intake tract affects the air supply.
The output and torque of an engine have the greatest effect on the engine’s character. These, in turn, are greatly affected by the degree to which the cylinder is filled and the geometric form of the intake tract.
High torque requires an intake manifold with a geometry different to one for high power output. A medium intake manifold length with a medium diameter represents a compromise, but a variable intake manifold is optimal.
The VR6 engine, in which the conventional intake manifold has been replaced by the new variable intake manifold, provides an example which makes the increase in power and torque very clear.
A patent for the variable intake manifold concept of the VR engine has been applied for.
- Power and torque
- Air supply
- Air channelling in engine
- The principle of resonance charging
- The variable intake manifold of the VR engines
- Torque position of VR6 variable intake manifold
- Power position of VR6 variable intake manifold
- Power and output of VR6 engine
- Load-dependent change-over concept
- Power collector and change-over barrel
- Filling the power collector
- Intake manifold change-over
- Intake manifold change-over valve N156
- Test your knowledge
The Self-Study Programme is not a Workshop Manual.
Please refer to the Service Literature for all the relevant maintenance and repair instructions.