MT82 Getrag 6-Speed Manual Transmission Workshop Manual
MT82 Getrag 6-Speed Manual Transmission Workshop Manual PDF
Manual Transmission The MT82 6-speed transmission features:
- six forward speeds and one reverse speed.
- helical toothed gear wheels and gears that arc constantly engaged.
- triple synchronisation on 1st and 2nd gears.
- double synchronisation on 3rd and 4th gears.
- a shift interlock system to prevent the engagement of more than one gear.
- a skip shift system to bypass 2nd and 3rd gears for vehicles equipped with 5.0L (4V) engines.
- aluminum front and rear main cases.
- an input shaft, output shaft and countershaft.
- ball bearings on input shaft, output shaft and countershaft.
- a reverse idler gear to produce a reverse rotation of the output shaft.
The transmission function is to move the vehicle from a rest position to motion. This is done by transferring the engine torque to the vehicle rear wheels. The transmission uses gears to adapt the torque to the demands of load and road conditions. It matches engine power to vehicle needs.
This power is delivered from the engine flywheel, to the transmission. The power is transmitted through a driver-operated clutch, which allows for engagement and disengagement of the engine to the transmission.
The transmission input shaft receives the power when the clutch is engaged. It is transferred through the input shaft to the drive gear. Torque is transferred to the countershaft drive gear and is delivered along the countershaft to all the countershaft gears. Torque is then transferred to the engaged mainshaft gear. The transmission then uses a system of mainshaft gears to change the speed and torque relationship between the engine crankshaft and the transmission output shaft.