Dodge Ram 68RFE – ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group)
Dodge Ram 68RFE – ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) PDF. Beginning at the start of production for the 2006 model year Chrysler Corporation has introduced a new version of the 5/45RFE transmission and is found in Dodge Ram trucks. The new 68RFE designation tells us that this new unit has 6 forward speeds, a relative torque rating of 8, is for Rear drive vehicles and is Fully Electronic controlled. The 68RFE transmission is a sophisticated, multi-range, electronically controlled transmission which combines optimized gear ratios for responsive performance, improved efficiency features, and low NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness). Other features include driver adaptive shifting and three, 6 pinion, planetary gear sets to provide wide ratio capability with precise ratio steps for optimum drivability. There have been several engineering changes in the geartrain to improve durability and reliability.
The primary mechanical components consist of the following:
- Larger Bell Housing, different bolt pattern and a cutout to accommodate diesel applications.
- Three multiple disc driving clutch packs.
- Three multiple disc brake clutch packs.
- Three 6 pinion planetary gear sets (Totally New Design).
- Dual stage hydraulic oil pump.
- Valve Body and TRS/Solenoid pack.
- 2007 – present Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Pickup (6.7L Cummins ISB Diesel)
- IDENTIFICATION TAG INFORMATION & FLUID REQUIREMENTS
- COMPONENT LOCATIONS AND CLUTCH APPLICATION CHART
- SOLENOID OPERATION AND APPLICATION CHART
- ELECTRICAL AND LIMP-IN MODE OPERATION
- SOLENOID DESCRIPTION
- WIRE SCHEMATIC
- CASE CONNECTOR TERMINAL IDENTIFICATION
- CONTROLLER LOCATION
- CONTROLLER CONNECTOR TERMINAL IDENTIFICATION
- CLUTCH VOLUME INDEX INFORMATION
- AIR PRESSURE TESTS
- EXTERNAL SENSOR LOCATIONS
- TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR/SOLENOID BODY
- DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
- CHECKBALL LOCATIONS
- PRESSURE TAP LOCATIONS AND TEST PROCEDURES
- ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR INFORMATION, 6.7L DIESEL
- CONVERTER CLUTCH OPERATION
- CASE & OIL PUMP PASSAGE IDENTIFICATION
- TRANSMISSION DISASSEMBLY
- COMPONENT REBUILD SECTION
- EXTENSION HOUSING
- TRANSMISSION CASE ASSEMBLY
- LOW/REVERSE CLUTCH HOUSING ASSEMBLY
- 2-4 CLUTCH RETAINER ASSEMBLY
- GEARTRAIN ASSEMBLY
- INPUT CLUTCH HOUSING ASSEMBLY
- OIL PUMP ASSEMBLY
- VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY
- TRANSMISSION FINAL ASSEMBLY
- SETTING REAR TRANSMISSION END-PLAY
- SETTING FRONT TRANSMISSION END-PLAY
- CLEARANCE SPECIFICATIONS AND BOLT IDENTIFICATION
- THRUST BEARING IDENTIFICATION
- TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS
- SPECIAL TOOLS
- HEAVY DUTY LOW ROLLER CLUTCH